Friday, October 3, 2008

The Worst Poem About Love

Love isn't everything.
Love doesn't wash dishes, or do the laundry.
Love doesn't commute forty-five minutes to a thankless, underpaid job.
Love doesn't wake up at two-thirty in the morning to comfort a toothache.
Love doesn't stop the leak in the bank account.
Love doesn't fill the bank account back up again.
The work must be done.

I'll pay the bills
I'll prepare the meals
I'll go to work, day after day
I'll raise the children
I'll be by your side as I watch you fade
  My heart breaking inside as I watch your slack expression
  And as we converse, I ignore your slurring speech
  But I try to be strong, and smile, and make corny jokes
  And hold your hand as you lie in your hospital bed
  And I try not to wonder if you'll ever come home.
Because I love you, I'll do whatever needs to be done.

Love isn't everything.
But without Love, there's nothing.

No comments: